Thing 4

I found the blog writing to be an easy read.  Easy meaning it was written as though a conversation would flow.  The language had a very casual tone in most instances.  Reading the blog itself is fast and easy to skim to whatever it is that you are looking for.  However I found that once I began exploring the links embedding within the blog I spent more time than I may have when reading a paper document for example.  One link leads to another and so on and so forth.  When I think of a published piece of material whether it be for a professional journal or sending a page into cyberspace, I expect a certain amount of professionalism and vocabulary.  I did not find this to be the case in the majority of pages I read.  As the writer I would welcome the comments left on my blog, but as a reader I rarely read them.  I feel as though blogging will effect they way our students read and write when left to their own devices.  Where do blogs reference professional materials not just another blog?  As I explore this course I am becoming more wearing of the information I come across on the web as I learn just how easy it is to put your thoughts out there.  Someone is bound to read them as fact.  I do agree there is much to be said about sharing your work with more than your teacher and parents, especially to a Second Grader.  For the Second Grade poster, a comment could be the highlight to your entire school year.  You are published, you are professional.  So although blogs certainly have their value and audience, I will read the about Daisy Miller’s disappearance with more conviction than I would a “professional” blogger. 

One thought on “Thing 4

1. I like your thoughtful comments on blogging. I find that I spend a lot of time rereading my comments and editing what I have written. I have experienced many “levels” of writing from obvously unedited comments to those which I really didn’t have the educational level to understand. I too find that I spend a lot of time looking at and exploring links provided. I have decided that there are two sides to the exploration issue. There is the amount of time that it takes to explore the issue, which can be the negative aspect, and there is the degree of learning which occurs when exploring an issue, which can be the positive aspect. Both are a part of using the Web, and I must learn to manage my time while also maximizing my learning.